- Date of birth: May 28 1941
- Place of birth: Cincinnati, Ohio
- Married to: JoAnn P. Altenau
- Two children: Brooke A. Gies and Matthew M. Altenau.
- High School: St. Xavier High School, Cincinnati, Ohio from 1955-1959.
- College: University of Cincinnati from 1959-1962 receiving a B.S. in chemistry after first year of medical school.
- Medical school: University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio from 1962-1966.
- Internship (medical): Presbyterian-St.Luke's Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, from 1966-1967.
- Residency (General surgery): Presbyterian-St.Luke's Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, from 1967-1968.
- Military service: U.S. Army, Captain, Viet Nam (24th Evacuation Hospital) in Ear Nose Throat from 1968-1969 and Fort Sheridan, Illinois, general medical officer from 1969-1970.
- Residency (otolaryngology): Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennesse, from 1970-1971. University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, 1971-1973.
- Board certified in Otolaryngolgy in December 1973.
- Fellowship in Otology and Neuro-otology at Otologic Medical Group in Los Angeles, California, from 1973-1974.
- Member of the Otologic Medical Group (private practice) from 1974-1976.
- Associate professor and chairman of division of Otolaryngology, department of surgery, University of Texas health science center, Southwestern Medical School from 1976-1979.
- Private Practice at Medical City Hospital, Dallas, Texas, from 1979 to the present time.